Thursday, August 23, 2012

DIY Hair Chalking - My very own tutorial!

0 Comments



This is my very first tutorial!  I'd been seeing Hair Chalking on Pinterest for a while now.  I read through some tutorials and thought that they made the process seem WAY too easy, because in reality, it isn't.

First, it's very time consuming.  My niece's hair took me 3 hours.  Second, it's a huge mess, and I mean huge.  I've got photo evidence to prove it.  Third, it leaves your hair feeling absolutely terrible.  It's completely knotty and sticky and even after setting the chalk with your straighter it comes off on your hand.

Well folks, don't say I didn't try and warn ya!  If you still want to give this process a try keep reading.  If not, browse my blog or Pinterest and find another DIY project to embark on!  My next project:  An Adirondack Stool!  But that won't be making an appearance on the blog for a longgg while.  And who knows if it'll stay standing long enough for a few photos to be taken.  Haha.

Okay, so if you're ready to get started these are the items you'll need!


  1. A spray bottle filled with warm water.
  2. Soft pastel chalk.  Do NOT get Crayola or regular chalk, it will not work.  (I got a huge 24 pack at Michael's for $4.99 not including my 40% off coupon)
  3. A towel to wrap around your neck.
  4. Gloves if you don't want your hands to dye.
  5. A hair straightener or curler.
  6. Blow dryer - This is optional for people who are time crunched!



 Step One - Place a towel around your neck and spray the strands of hair you want to chalk.  I sprayed my niece's entire head and then realized I shouldn't have.  By the time I got to the strands I wanted to chalk the hair was too dry.  Wet your strands in 1 to 2 inch sections for best results.



Step Two - Pick your chalk colors.  I chose 4 different colors.  Light blue, dark blue, light purple and dark purple.  Take your 1 to 2 inch sections and rub the chalk on the wet hair until you can see the color.  Don't be afraid to REALLY get it in there.  Continue this step until your finish the entire head or strands you want done.

Step Three - Allow the hair to dry completely!  Do not go to the next step until your hair is absolutely dry.  This took over an hour for me, but I had her sitting under a fan and didn't blow dry.

Tip:  If you're crunched for time, you can blow dry your hair.


Step Four - This is the worst step, the heat setting.  It takes very long and is very messy as you can see by the above photos.  Do it somewhere where the mess can be easily cleaned.  Take your straightener and go over every single strand of chalked hair.  This is what will set your chalking to your hair.



Step Five - Do your clean up and marvel at your newly colored hair.  My niece's hair chalking washed out the next day.  I don't know if it's because her hair is colored, or if that's just how long it lasts.

Warnings:
  • If you brush your hair the color will come out and will also stain your brush.
  • This process really dries out your hair so once the color has come out make sure to deep condition.
  • If you are leaving your hair chalking in over night please be advised that probably will stain your pillowcase.
  • It works best on second day hair, though doing it to just washed hair won't matter too much.


Well I wish you luck.  And please let me know if you have more success at this than I did.  If you have any tips, please leave me a comment!



0 comments:

Post a Comment